bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert

2001 jeep grand cherokee laredo: keys..the owners manual states

Customer Question

I have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee larado. I am the original owner with the (2) original keys. There is something wrong with the s.k.i.m. system as the owners manual states "the jeep will not run if it does'nt get the correct signal from the key". Right now it starts up then shuts down. Could it be a bad immobilizer module ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 8 years ago.

hi i'm bill

yes it could and is very likely a bad SKIM module however you MUST have dealer perform the repair as only the dealer has acess to the security codes necessary to program the keys and module (for security)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you know the approximate cost of this service ?
Expert:  bill replied 8 years ago.
depends on your area's labor rate the module is usually under 100.00 and the labor shouldn't be much more than an hour or two including about an hour to diagnose wether the failure is the module or a power feed (not likely i have seen a lot of module failures)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I thought this was just a continuation of the original question.

Expert:  bill replied 8 years ago.
it is you have already paid when you hit accept,so just let it time out and you won't be charged again.