brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Replace the heater/ac blower on a 2004 jeep grand cherokee?

How do you replace the heater/ac blower on a 2004 jeep grand cherokee?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

I will attach instructions. If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Pinch the connector retainer and unplug the blower motor wire harness from the blower motor (see picture)
  3. Remove the three screws that secure the blower motor and blower wheel assembly to the HVAC housing, using either a T-25 Torx® head or flat-bladed screwdriver.
  4. Lower the blower motor and wheel from the HVAC housing.
  5. Remove the blower wheel retainer clip (see picture).
  6. Remove the wheel from the blower motor shaft.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. You explain how to change the blower motor once you get to the blower. But, what I need to know is hHow do I get to the blower? Do I get to it from the enginde side or do I need to go under the dashboard or remove the glove box?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

It is under the dash on the passengers side. You can remove the glove box to make it easier, but it is not nesecary.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks. What needs to be done to pull the blower unit out? (i.e. is is bolted in, lached in, etc.). Sounds like puling out the glove box will help. Do you know whats involved in taking out the glove box?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

The motor is held in place with three screws.

2. Roll the glove box down from the instrument panel. (see picture).

NOTE: Be certain to use care not to damage or remove the glove box hinge bumpers on the lower instrument panel glove box opening reinforcement when removing the glove box from the instrument panel.

3. Firmly grip both ends of the glove box door, then twist and pull the door as necessary to disengage the inboard hinge hook from the inboard hinge pin on the instrument panel and reorient the hook to the underside of the hinge pin (see picture).
  4. Raise the glove box door until it is perpendicular to the instrument panel.
  5. Twist the door slightly in the counterclockwise direction and use a jiggling action to disengage the remaining two hinge hooks from their respective hinge pins on the instrument panel.
  6. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. When you say "the motor is held in place with 3 screews" are you talking about the blower unit or just the motor? I just want to clarify that I want to replace the entire blower unit (fan (blower wheel), housing, and the motor) not just the motor. (The motor actually works fine, the fan is loose or out of balance).
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

I am referring to the blower unit, sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,

JB