Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo will not start, when the ...

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo will not start, when the key is turned all dash warninglights and alarms come on and the wipers work, radio and cd player work, the horn sounds, head lights all work, but when the key is turned it just goes click once and that is all.. The vehicle is in park, and I have tried to jump it. I just drove the vehicle and parked it in the parking lot and was away from it for 5 minutes then ran back to go somewhere else and this problem happened.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Greetings! First thing to do is check the battery. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or u can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side. If all checks out, make sure u have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced!