brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Have to replace fuel pump..tank..hose

Have to replace fuel pump in 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. How do get gas out of tank so I can lower it? Syphon hose will not go down into gas through fill piping.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Disconnect the fuel line at the tank or by fuel filter or even at fuel rail and hook up a hose to that, or if you have another fuel pump or means to siphon the fuel out.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,
JB
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there is valve in the pump that will not allow syphoning of tank through discharge line?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I looked at the year wrong when I answered earlier (don't pay for this). You will not be able to syphon the fuel out of this system. You will have to drop the tank with the fuel in it. You can remove the fuel after it is down to make it easier to reinstall, but that wont help taking it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Won't the gas come out of the fill hose when it is disconnected from the tank, causing a mess? The tank is about 3/4 full and it looks like the fill/vent hoses are about mid-point? Wondering if it might be better to take to a shop. The remainder of the job seems straight forward. I checked for all bolts, wiring, piping, etc. Have a floor jack and board to lower the tank. Just worried about the gasoline.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

You will get a little fuel out, but there is a check valve in the tank that is suppose to stop the fuel from coming out and that is also the reason you can't get a hose in it to get the fuel out. This is not an easy job to do on the floor, with a lift it is much easier.

The labor to replace at a shop would be about 2 hours and the going rate is about $100.00. So the job for labor would be about $200.00 plus the part. I guess it comes down to whether or not it's worth $200.00 to have somebody do it for you or not?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. I'll pay for your advice. I agree that it doesn't look like fun for an on the floor job, but don't have the luxury of a lift. Might be able to jack it up a bit and put it on stands, but that's about it. I'd rather not spend the $200.00 if I can get it done with some hard work. Just so I can get it done. If all attempts fail I guess it will have to get towed to a shop. At least now I have a better idea what I'm getting into.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Good luck! and sorry again for any confusion.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,