a-mechanic
a-mechanic, Shop Foreman Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler
Experience:  16 years in Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep dealers. Chrysler electrical/chassis Master
10291654

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport: heater..blow out air..blower motor

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the heater and the a/c does not work in it. I was wondering why it will not blow out air. I have replaced the blower motor in my Jeep and that did not fix the problem. It did not even blow air out for a few minutes it did nothing can you please help me thank you
Category: Jeep
Expert:  a-mechanic replied 8 years ago.

Hello.

The most likely cause is either a blown fuse or a bad blower motor resistor. with the outside chance of a control head.

the resistor is located behind a kick cover on the passenger side.under the dash.

the fuse needs to be checked first. It is a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Your owners manual should show you which it is if it is not inside the cover.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are going to go check the fuse righ know and i will get back to you in 5 min
ok
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fuses are not blowen so know what do we do

All right, Turn the key on and set the blower to high.

If you have a test light put the clip to power and use the probe end and put it in the the back of the blower motor connector at the black wire. and see if it lights. If it does then switch it to ground and see if you have power on the green wire.

If you don't have a test light take a piece of wire attach it to Ground and again but it in the black wire side of the connector. with the motor connected and turned on the motor should now power up If you have power on the green wire (fed from fuse)

With either of these tests you are testing the ground side of the motor. The resistor and control head are on the ground side.

The next step to test will be to take the resistor and disconnect. here you'll need a test light attached to power now test for ground through the control head. if you have it then the resistor is bad if you don't have ground you need a blower control switch or control head.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have power i do not know i am going to have to take it to someone so they can look at it. I do want to thank you for all your help though

You are very welcome.