Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep

2001 jeep cherokee sport: column..hazards..the turn signal flasher

My turn signals don't work. I replaced the switch on stearing column, no signals but the hazards work. Where is the turn signal flasher located on a 2001 jeep cherokee sport? And would that be the problem?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Your combo flasher may have failed, unfortunately the only way to test it is to replace it with a known good one, be sure to check all fuses especially number 12 in the fuse box

The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

While the combination flasher has a International Standards Organization -type relay terminal configuration or footprint, the internal circuitry is much different. The combination flasher does not use standard ISO-relay inputs or provide ISO-relay type outputs or functions. The combination flasher should never be substituted for an ISO-relay or replaced with an ISO-relay, or else component and vehicle damage may occur.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal system and hazard warning system circuits as described in this group. Then replace the combination flasher with a known good unit to confirm system operation.

The combination flasher has five blade-type terminals intended for the following inputs and outputs: fused B(+), fused ignition switch output, ground, turn signal circuit, and hazard warning circuit. Constant battery voltage and ground are supplied to the flasher so that it can perform the hazard warning function, and ignition switched battery voltage is supplied for the turn signal function. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

The combination flasher is located in a connector on a take out of the instrument panel wire harness. The connector is secured to the diagnostic splice block bracket outboard of the steering column opening underneath the instrument panel. The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

• Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  • Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel.
  • Reach through the outboard side of the steering column opening to access and disengage the instrument panel wire harness connector for the combination flasher from the instrument panel diagnostic splice block mounting bracket
  • Pull the combination flasher into the instrument panel steering column opening far enough to access the wire harness connector.
  • Disconnect the combination flasher from the wire harness connector.
  • Remove the combination flasher from under the instrument panel
  • I hope that this helps

If you need more information just let me know

Thank you

Donny

1 - DIAGNOSTICS MOUNTING BRACKET
    2 - DIAGNOSTICS SPLICE BLOCK
    3 - INSTRUMENT PANEL COURTESY LAMP
    4 - DATA LINK CONNECTOR
    5 - OUTBOARD STEERING COLUMN OPENING
    6 - COMBINATION FLASHER AND CONNECTOR

1 - KNEE BLOCKER
    2 - SCREW
    3 - TAB
    4 - SLOT

Donny, Shop Foreman
    Experience: A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep