itsajeepthing, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jeep dealership exp. Gold Certified

My 2002 Jeep liberty is suddenly overheating. The ...

My 2002 Jeep liberty is suddenly overheating. The thermostat and radiator are only a few months old. The oil is clear of water and the engine runs fine. Outside temperature is normally 85 degrees and the coollan fan runs regularly. When the engine stops, smoke issues out from under the hood. I can't find a leak and water comes out of the overflow hole at the rear of the coolant pressure tank. Water marks are on or around the tank but I can't find any cracks on the tank or connecting hoses.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  itsajeepthing replied 8 years ago.

Hello, can you tell me if the cooling fan is coming on when this occurs? Doest the temp. gauge go up? Is the coolant at the proper level inside the radiator, and the over flow? Is this a 3.7?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to itsajeepthing's Post: Thanks for responding. Yes the fan is running while the temperature guage is rising. I filled the water level to the prescribed level, on the reservoir pressure tank cold and warm. I have also bled the air out using the air bleed valve. This is a closed pressurized system and I can't see if the radiator is filled to the top or not. This is a 3.7 liter engine.

I forgot, the only cap is on the bottle. It sounds like either air/combustion chamber gas is being introduced and vapor locking the system or the water pump is not flowing the coolant.

I need to know when it gets hot and the fan kicks on, do you have continuous hot air coming off the rad. I have seen where the impeller for the water pump justs spins on the shaft, and does not circulate the coolant.

A chemical block test can be done to see if combustion chamber gases are in the cooling system. The tester sits on the overflow and the chemical turns blue to yellow if there is presence of hydrocarbons.

I hope this helped if so an accept is appreciated

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to itsajeepthing's Post: I felt the radiator and the hoses. Everything including the air blowing from the radiator is hot and the the air is continuously hot. Where can I get a testing kit for the hydrocarbons? And if they are present, how do I fix something like that?

If they are present you have a bad head gasket or a cracked cylinder head.

There is also a proceedure to pump up the cylinders with air through the spark plug holes and look for bubbles in the overflow.

I hope this helped if so an accept is apprciated