itsajeepthing
itsajeepthing, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jeep dealership exp. Gold Certified
358821

How do you adjust the bands on a automatic transmission for ...

Customer Question

How do you adjust the bands on a automatic transmission for a 1995 Jeep grand cherokee laredo, stright 6 motor? I think that may be my problem, because the transmission slips when I pull out from a slight inbankment or if I pull out and stomp it. If that may not be the problem i was thinking that it may be the torque converter. Have never had any problem out of it before until a few weeks ago and now for the past few days it has seemed to have gotten worse. Thanks for your time.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  itsajeepthing replied 6 years ago.

Hello, here is the procedure to adjust the bands. It is usually a leaking lip seal that will cause clutch slippage,

BAND ADJUSTMENTS

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

1. Raise vehicle.
  2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
  3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket.

CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw , tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.

42RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off front band adjusting screw 3-5/8 turns.
  • Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
44RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off front band adjusting screw 2-1/4 turns.
  1. Lower vehicle

REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.

1. Raise vehicle.
  2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
  3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
  4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque
42/44RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off adjusting screw 4 turns.
  • Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
  1. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
  2. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF Plus 3, Type 7176 fluid.

____________________________________________________________-

I hope this helped if so an accept is appreciated

itsajeepthing, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 years Jeep dealership exp. Gold Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to itsajeepthing's Post: I took it apart and fluid looked great no burnt smell or metal shavings, But the lock nut for the set screw for the band was loose, I tightened it up like you said. Can you tell me how the seal is suppose to look? It doesn't look damaged, but I want to be sure that is not my problem. Do you think that it could be my torque converter?

I do not think you have a torque converter issue, that would be a completely different set of complants.

Lip seals are not serviced with the pan off. They are attached to the clutch pistons inside the trans.

_________________________________________________________________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the advice it was a great help but after a little more input i fixed the problem, and it runs great.