Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehciles
45790705

I have a 1998 jaguar xjr. I am changing the alternator And I

Customer Question

I have a 1998 jaguar xjr. I am changing the alternator And I have all the bolts out but the sleave is holding it in. How do I get it out?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

have you tried spraying brake parts loosener on it, this the steps for removals below , and also click on the blue link to view diagrams

Removal

Zoom and Print Options

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove the battery cover.
2. Remove the air cleaner assembly (including fit body paintwork protection sheets to the adjacent working area).
3. Remove the twin fan and motor assembly from behind the radiator.
4. Remove the supercharger drive belt.
5. Remove the supercharger drive belt tensioner. See: Drive Belt Tensioner > Procedures
6. Check that the belt wear indicator (accessory drive) is within the limit marks.

Zoom and Print Options

7. Remove the drive belt from the generator and accessory drive,
1. Use a spanner e.g. Churchill JD-230 or Snap On XDHM 1415, on the centre bolt of the belt tensioner idler pulley, to turn the adjuster assembly to the left against spring tension. Whilst holding the tensioner against spring tension, remove the drive belt from the generator pulley. Release the tensioner slowly and remove the spanner.
2. Disconnect the belt from the other pulleys, as necessary, to move it clear of the generator.
8. Raise the vehicle on a ramp.

Zoom and Print Options

9. Remove the air intake ducting from the generator. The ducting comprises two sections; the upper section is retained by two screws to the sump body assembly and the lower (horizontal) section is retained by one screw.

Zoom and Print Options

10. Disconnect the generator harness.
Disconnect the harness multi-plug.
Remove the protective boot from the positive terminal, remove the terminal nut and disconnect the cable from the terminal.

Zoom and Print Options

11. Remove the lower mounting bolt and reposition the harness mounting bracket.

Zoom and Print Options

12. From above the vehicle, reposition the supercharger water pump for access.
1. Reposition the pump harness multiplug from the retaining bracket.
2. Remove the two nuts which secure the U-bracket around the pump.
3. Remove the U-bracket from the pump.
4. Reposition the pump to allow access for removing the generator.

Zoom and Print Options

Generator

13. Remove the upper securing bolt and withdraw the generator from the mounting bracket.

Zoom and Print Options

14. Carefully, manoeuvre the generator forward towards the radiator.

Zoom and Print Options

15. Change the position of the generator and remove it upwards between the engine and the radiator.

Zoom and Print Options

16. Move the spacing bush rearwards slightly in the generator mounting bracket, to ease fitting the new generator.
1. Position a suitable length bolt through the bush, fit a tubular spacer or socket spanner, fit a nut and tighten the assembly to move the bush slightly. Remove the nut, bolt and spacer.

Installation

Zoom and Print Options

1. Fit the generator to the engine.
1. From above, position the generator and fit the upper mounting bolt and nut, but do not fully tighten.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Fit the generator lower mounting.
1. From below, reposition and align the harness clip to the generator lower mounting.
2. Fit the lower mounting bolt and nut, tighten to 38-48 Nm.

Zoom and Print Options

3. Connect the harness.
2. Secure the main positive cable to the generator positive terminal.
3. Fit the boot to the terminal.
4. Reconnect the generator harness multi-plug.

Zoom and Print Options

4. Refit the air intake ducting to the generator. The upper section is retained by two screws to the sump body assembly and the lower (horizontal) section is retained by one screw.
5. Lower the vehicle on the ramp.
6. Fully tighten the generator upper mounting bolt, to 18-24 Nm.

Zoom and Print Options

7. Reposition the supercharger water pump.
1. Reposition the pump to the mounting bracket.
2. Fit the U-bracket to the pump.
3. Fit the two nuts which secure the U-bracket around the pump.
4. Reposition the pump harness multiplug to the retaining bracket.

Zoom and Print Options

8. Refit the drive belt to the generator.
1. Pass the drive belt around the idler pulley.
2. Using spanner (Churchill JD-230 or Snap On XDHM 1415) on the centre bolt of the belt tensioner idler pulley, rotate the adjuster against spring tension.
3. Whilst holding the tensioner against spring tension, pass the drive belt over the generator pulley and check that it is correctly located on the other pulleys. Release the tensioner slowly and remove the spanner. Check the alignment of the belt.
9. Fit the supercharger drive belt tensioner.
10. Fit the supercharger drive belt.
11. Refit the fan and motor assembly.
12. Refit the air cleaner assembly.
13. Reconnect the battery ground cable and fit the battery cover. Reset the radio information and the clock.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat