peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Second opinion] - driving at 60 mph and trans went from

Customer Question

Second opinion] - driving at 60 mph and trans went from drive to second and first gear by itself then two minutes later goes into neutral and will not go forward or backwards had to push it home using my wifes car?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 1997 transmission have not checked brake switch.
JA: What is the model of your '60 Jaguar?
Customer: Have a 1997 jaguar xj6 L and 1997 trans
JA: Are you fixing your XJ6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: would hope to change the 5 amp fuse and I had car oil trans and all flids checked at jiffy lube the day before the mishap.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes the battery showed signs of being low and the trans light would stay on and go into second gear and stay in second until I parked it at work, then when I started it up all systems worked okay this happenned 4 seperat times in past two months.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this issue only occurred after the work was done I would have the fluid level checked to make sure the correct amount and type of fluid was used in the transmission as this can cause issues like this here in allot of cases.If this is or has been checked and found o.k. already let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete