Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Started to throw gear box code and parkbrake code, went into

Customer Question

started to throw gear box code and parkbrake code, went into restricted mode a couple of times. Now it is going into those modes and I cannot get it into park
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2004 xj8
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, I had it at a mechanic for a week and he could not get it to do it. as soon as I picked it up of course it started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I have already paid for a membership
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
Is the shifter stuck in park? Does the engine stall and run normally? Can I have the last six of your VIN?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is stuck in park, I don't have the vin #, the car is stuck at a friends house. The engine does not stall and runs perfeclty
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
OK thanks. Is the P lite up red on the shifter? We may have a problem with the shifter or other module on the vehicle network. We will need to have the vehicle scanned for any stored fault codes. We also can perform some tests with a digital multimeter. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It s not red we started the car in neutral after remving the plate, and all codes cleared
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Since it is not illuminated this tells me we may have an internal problem with the shifter or issue with the vehicle network. On the early VIN 2004 vehicles I have run into situations with some electrical connector pins causing this.