Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Radiator fan problems! it just started this morning haven't

radiator fan problems!
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: it just started this morning haven't checked fuses because i don't know which to check it hasn't been overheating no signs of laks leaks* plenty of coolant
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2006 xtype the only way i could get the fan to stop was to disconnect the battery i left it disconnected for over 2 hours in 30F temperatures but the second i went to reconnect the fans started right back up - even without starting the engine
JA: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: that's all i've tried so far it just started this morning i've never seen this before
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all i've got!
Usually this is caused by the fan module. This is the metal box on the fan assembly. It is not serviced separately from.the fan if you get a new one from Jag.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm aware it's the fan module. My question was where's the best place to get one, and how likely am I as an only moderately handy person to break things in the process?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've read on various forums that the contacts on the module sometimes get welded open. I'm assuming this is my problem since there's the car has been parked (not running) in the driveway for several hours now and the fan still starts right up as soon as I go to reconnect the battery
Can I have your VIN?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Attached image
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Did you receive the picture?
but I have to open it when I get back into the shop in a few.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
any ideas on how I can manage this? Local shop wants to charge $180 just to look at it

Got the VIN. It sounds like the fan assembly will need to be replaced. The part is costly but I recommend jagbits.com, coventrywest.com, welshent.com, and motorcarsltd.com as they all specialize in reman and discounted Jag parts. The fan runs about $685 and the labor is about 2.5 hours.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do I need to replace the whole fan you think? Not just the control module?

Since you cannot get the control module anymore new from Jag the complete assembly will need to be replaced. The places I mentioned may have a rebuilt or used fan module

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I appreciate all your help! One last question - can you use my VIN to tell me whether I need a newer or the older assembly?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I keep getting emails about rating this service, which I will be happy to do once my last question is answered. Based on my VIN, do I need the older or the newer assembly?

It is showing the newer assembly.

Your vehicle already has the updated part so you do not ned the link harness

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If I can only find the older assembly would it be difficult to remove the link harness?

The older assembly will not plug into the vehicle harness.