Craig Manning
Craig Manning,
Experience:  High Level- Senior Technician at Firestone Complete Auto Care
97029787

1990 XJ40 Vanden Plas - driver side rear pad was down to

Customer Question

1990 XJ40 Vanden Plas - driver side rear pad was down to metal, passenger side about half. Replaced both side pads, bled rear brakes per instructions, Treves brake system. Pedal is now mushy, sometimes hard and sometimes goes almost to the floor. When the brake pedal is depressed, brake light always comes on, let go of the pedal, light goes off? ABS and brake light go out within about 10 seconds of starting car. Replaced accumulator. No change. Ideas with diagrams/pictures if possible.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  trung do replied 16 days ago.

hi this is trung glad to be helping you today

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Thanks. Do you have an answer?

Expert:  trung do replied 16 days ago.

​this issue sound to me you have a bad brake proportional valve that cause uneven brake fluid , did u check the piston on the caliper to see it seize or stuck

Expert:  trung do replied 16 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You

TRUNG DO

ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

This is a Jaguar with a Treves brake system, where is there a proportioning valve, do you have a picture? Do you know older Jaguars?

Expert:  Craig Manning replied 12 days ago.
If my memory serves me right it is on the driver rear under door, it will be on the front to rear brake line.