Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Engine won't crank over,when switched on RED "P" on shifter,

Customer Question

engine won't crank over,when switched on RED "P" on shifter, shifter will move through gears, security light in center dash comes on does not blink and then goes off, no messages, tried resetting inertia switch, the car is a 2004 jag s type 170k mls
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: all dashboard lights are working
JA: What is the model of your '04 Jaguar?
Customer: s type 4.2
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: you have everything I tried, trying to fix myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
OK you ruled out a few things already which is good. First double check the battery and cable.connections as low voltage can be the cause. We may also have a failed starter motor. The starter relay is R20 in the engine compartment fuse box. Remove the relay and the bottom.pins of the relay are numbered. On pin 3 of the relay socket connector we should have battery voltage. You can jump pins 3 and 5 to see if the starter engages. I would recommend a heavier gauge wire when doing this. We can also perform some tests with a digital multimeter.