Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My 2004 xj8 jaguar will not start when the temperature is

Customer Question

my 2004 xj8 jaguar will not start when the temperature is below 30 degrees F
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: yes. Installed a new battery
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the dealer has tried to solve this problem on numerous occasions and has given up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Right now is the engine not cranking? Any warning lights or messages on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The engine always cranks. It just won't start when the temperature is below 30 degrees. Today the temperature is higher than that and the car has started. No messages come on.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is going on? I have not received an answer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since this is not working very well, let's call it quits.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
OK this may be a fuel problem like a bad fuel pump. To confirm this we will need to check fuel.pressure at the injector rail. We can try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake while an assistant cranks the engine to see if it will start and run on the spray. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The dealer has done all of the things you suggested. There is no fuel problem. The car always starts and runs well when the temperature is above 30 degrees F.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
OK this can be caused by a few things. These vehicles did have a cold start issue if the plugs may be slightly worn. I also recommend we have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. I also would like to confirm fuel pressure to the rail.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Richard, let me try again. The problem only occurs at temperatures below 30 degrees F. The temperature at the moment is around 50 degrees. The dealer has done everything his technicians can think of, including checking the fault codes, checking fuel pressure to the rail, and checking the plugs. They are now making guesses and are replacing parts. This has not yielded any solutions but has run up the bill. Apparently, this is a rare condition.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Has the dealer actually verified it not starting? What other parts have been replaced?