Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I recently purchased A 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sedan with the dual

Customer Question

I recently purchased A 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sedan with the dual rear gas tanks. I have noticed a "gas smell" Is this something easily fixed?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: The car has 75,000 original miles and was a one owner car. My late father drove the car for the last two years he was alive. It starts easily and runs great
JA: Are you fixing your XJ6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am curious if there is a leak in the fuel system?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Another question... The hood ornament on this model (my current car does not have one) There are two different choices. A 5" and a 7" option. Are they both stock? Which one looks better?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 27 days ago.

Hello

the 1st place to check for a fuel leak is the tops of the fuel injectors where they plug into the rail

if its the type with hose clips try replacing the clips with a type that you can tighten up

if this is OK then trace the engine fuel hose back onto the car fuel pipe and check this hose for perishing / cracks too

as to the different hood ornaments then this really comes down to personal taste , I prefer the longer 7" item but others may not

Expert:  Matt replied 21 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you