rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

When I turn off the car, there is usually a slight buzzing

Customer Question

When I turn off the car, there is usually a slight buzzing noise still going on. But usually when I come back to the car, that sound is gone. Now it is going all the time, and running down my battery. What is it, and how do I turn it off? Thanks.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I have had the battery tested, and it tested fine. No leaks that I can see. When I connect the multimeter to it right after I turn off the car, it goes 11.21, 11.20. 11.19 real fast. And inside the car, still that buzzing. One hour later, it is still buzzing, and battery about 10.77.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Jaguar?
Customer: 2005 X-Type 3.0L 6 Cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have cleaned the battery posts and reinstalled the cables. I was thinking it was the alternator. But when I drive it, the voltage goes back up. It just drains with the car in the off position with that buzzing still inside.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about it.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 30 days ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 30 days ago.

That's most likely a relay staying energized longer than it should. This relay needs to be located and replaced. The most likely place it will be is under the hood in the power distribution box.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thanks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 30 days ago.

You're welcome, thank you too and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

I don't get credit for helping you until you rate me:)