Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My 2000 jaguar s type looses power after about 20 minutes of

Customer Question

my 2000 jaguar s type looses power after about 20 minutes of running when the engine is cold. it will idle but when i give it gas it will not accelerate. if i shut it off for about 5 minutes it will start and run with power for about 3 or 4 miles and loose power and can barely go 5 miles per hour. no trouble codes
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: it is a 4.0l
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: it is in my first paragraph
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the engine was just rebuilt
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Are any warning lights or messages on? I see you say there are no codes so I assume you had it scanned? How long ago was the engine rebuilt?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just finished it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it ran good for about 20 miles and then it lost power. it idled and i could go about 5 miles an hour. called tow truck to take it back to auto repair shop and when i took it off i started to it and it was running good. i drove it about 5 miles and it did the same thing so i drove it back to the shop. i shut it off for about 5 minutes and it would run good for about 1 mile or so and loose power
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The mechanic said it was the throttle body and i don't want to invest in one if that is not the problem
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also no warning lights showing or codes
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
it could very well be the throttle. It is fully electronic so if it is failing there will be faults stored and warnings displayed.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Check the connections to the mass air flow sensor and have the mechanic confirm we are not losing fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
fuel pressure is good. i also checked the connections to the mass air flow sensor and the connections to the electronic throttle body
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when it lost power
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
What is the fuel pressure when it is running and what is it when it loses power? What exact repair was done to the engine and for what reason?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i don't have that answer on the fuel pressure but he said it was within factory specs when it had no power. the engine overheated and he rebuilt the whole engine plus new heads.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my jaguar ran well for about 20 minutes and had plenty of power
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i was going about 65 miles per hour and going down a grade and noticed the power slowing down and barely made it to a off ramp of the freeway and cruised about 5 miles per hour to get it off the street.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also checked the connections on the cam sensors and they where ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you done with me or what ?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Sorry had to step away for a minute. We have a lot of variables here since the engine was repaired. I would like to know what the fuel pressure was. Then also make sure the transmission fluid is full. You should not have lost much by removing the engine but if the cooler pipes were removed then you will lose some fluid and can cause similar type issues on these vehicles. Next with the scan tool we need to monitor the pedal position sensors and throttle position sensors to see if the PCM is not opening the throttle or the throttle motor is faulty.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will have to get back to you. he doesn't open his shop until 9 california time.