Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have 2002 type x with a 3.0. i keep getting an

Customer Question

i have 2002 type x with a 3.0. i keep getting an intermittent check engine light, which indicates i have a misfire on # 4 cylinder.all of the wiring has been checked and all of the plugs, injectors and coils have been replaced the problem started with the #1 plug and has moved through #2,3 and now $4. i am now getting a trouble code referring to "flight recorder data being stored". this code is indicative of the problem i am having.if this sounds reasonable where can i find the inertia switch that might be causing the problem?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: when the car is running at lower rpms,the light is not always on , however if i rev the engine above 2200 rpms ,not always, the check engine light comes on steady and the amber alert light will also come on. the engine will rev up as long as the two lights stay on steady.however, when they start flashing the engine will go into a limp mode
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 type x with a 3.0
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. i have replaced all of the plugs injectors and coils. ihave also replced the upper intake gaskets and the fuel filter. i checked the fuel pressure wrth a guage and it was registering 50 psi at idle and 55 psi at higher rpms
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this car was previously owned by my 21 year old grandson who was rather hard on it
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

The only fault codes stored are P0304 and P1582?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. the other code referred to possible damage to the catalytic converter if problem continued
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Can you give me all the code numbers?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
p1304,p1313,p1314,p1316,p1582
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Ok the P1304 should be a P0304. The others are just for misfire rate and cat damaging misfire. As far as the P1582 flight recorder this is not the cause of your problem. That dtc could be set for a variety of reasons and the only way to clear it is with the Jag diagnostic equipment. The code will not cause any warnings or other issues. If the coils and injectors have been replaced then we should be able to rule them out as the cause. I see the upper intake seals replaced but not the lower so if cylinder 4 lower seal is leaking it can cause this. We will then need to perform a compression test. Could be a sticking valve. Cylinder 4 is the middle cylinder on the front bank so it is accessed easily. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
richard, sorry i took so long to get back to you, but i am just now getting back to working on the 2002 jaguar. i have located and fixed the misfire problem i was having. it turned out to be a new coil that my grandson had bought at the beginning of this problem.this just proves that although the part is brand new it is not always good.thank you for assisting in trying to solve my problem.