peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

The dashboard gauge indicates over-heating, and the display

Customer Question

The dashboard gauge indicates over-heating, and the display says the engine is over-heating powering down...not sure exactly the text, but it is in that context.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: about 2 weeks...and I haven't driven it since.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2002 S Type
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, my husband has changed the thermostate thermostat
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the engine light is on
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has the engine been ran since the thermostat was replaced to see if the over heat issue was corrected at all?If the thermostat was replaced to try and correct this here make sure the coolant is topped off and see if you can get the fault codes cleared out with a scan tool to erase the over heat message and check engine light.Then run the engine and see if the fault has been resolved.

If the thermostat was replaced before this issue occurred let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Yes, it has ran for several days. The coolant was topped off and the coolant host was replaced as well. but the issue hasn't been corrected after everything was done correctly as you stated in your response.

Do you know if the engine is actually over heating with this fault here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My husband said that the engine is NOT hot at all. Just the gauge and display making false report.

O.k.,this can be a fault with the engine coolant temp sensor sending a false signal.I have seen several of these cause this before with this sensor needing replaced.If you need the location of it let me know but also let me know if this has the V8 or V6 engine in it so I can check this for you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got a V6 engine.

I show this sensor is around $15 and around 10 minutes to replace.I dont show an exact location but I do show it as located on the drivers side of the cylinder head. as #6 below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgdd1fa8luhuyj2/cool-10-27.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete, I cannot access the link in the dropbox.

Let me try it again.It should open as it is opening for me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it still not allowing me to open. it may be because of firewall...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will check the link when I get home from work, to make sure I can access the attachment.

It may be blocked on your end as these usually open for all other customers.But it is usually that coolant temp sensor at fault needing replaced sending a false over temp or high coolant temp signal.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do. thanks.

Your welcome