Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Fault code 1697 sender on exhaust front top I can error the

Customer Question

Fault code 1697 sender on exhaust front top I can error the code it will go ol day as long the engine is running if I would sop the engine and start it in less than 10seconds it wil still be off but more than that when it will be start it will be back on new sensor been fitted and the wires checked to the e s u
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Is the code P01647? You replaced the top front sensor on the exhaust? Did you use a Jaguar part?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry yes no bought part off ebay
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do not want a live call
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Ok I have run into a lot of issues with aftermarket sensors. We also need to make sure we do not have a wiring issue to the sensor. We need to inspect the area and harness under the battery to make sure it is not damaged. If you have a digital multimeter we can test the circuit.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wiring has been checked from sennser to e s u under the battery as well
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Ok this sounds like a defective or just not a fully compliant sensor with the engine ECU. I always recommend using the factory sensors because of this. You could confirm this by swapping the upper sensors front to back and clear the codes to see if they travel. The rear sensor can be a little difficult to remove. I remove the purge valve bracket to give more room in accessing it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why is it ok when I start up in less than 10seconds
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

The ECU needs to run the monitor before it will set the dtc and turn the engine light on.