Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have an automatic 2003 x type - It goes into park and

Customer Question

I have an automatic 2003 x type - It goes into park and reverse but drive is dead silent. I was tracking electrical problems and new battery, cables, and solid grounds. I charged the battery and also jumped it with a large truck but no change.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: many times
JA: What is the model of your '03 Jaguar?
Customer: x type auto
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: did you read my message?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes - If I remove the shifter switch and pull on the shift lever I can get the transmission to engage. Is there a procedure to adjust the cable or do I need to replace a stretched one?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
Sounds like we may have a cable problem. See if the manual side of the shifter will work. There is an adjustment that we can try bit it is more likely the cable. Go underneath the vehicle and remove the three 8mm bolts holding the metal cover to the transmission. We can pop off the cable and make sure the lever moves freely. Have an assistant in the vehicle to apply the brakes to prevent the vehicle from rolling. If it moves freely move it back into position and connect the cable. Have an assistant hold the shifter in neutral then loosen the 8mm bolt on the cable adjuster to see if it moves. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The manual side works also - if I loosen the 4 bolts on the plastic switch the extra play allows the shift to work. I just need 1/2 turn to tighten the cable a spec. Is this cover on top or under the transmission? Can you tell me where it is? With all the shields and plastic covers it's a pain to go searching....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Richard. Any suggestions ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Underneath the vehicle on the transmission.