Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Have a 98 xj8. Recently had fans that would not shut off

Customer Question

Have a 98 xj8. Recently had fans that would not shut off unless pulled fan fuse. I was told becuase the fans were on they were still good. I replaced the temp/fan switch, thermostat, radiator, fan relay, the engine wire harrness that runs to the temp sensor, the fuel injectors/ & ignition coil, also replaced the waterpump much just as preventative mantainince. Issue truned out to be bad fan clutches in both fans, replaced wiring harness and fans and fixed. Now the car will not make it out of drive way without stalling. Havent driven it since fan issue. My fear is something electrical as had a throttlebody issue years ago and after spending a fortune on a new throttle body, learned it was a bad wire after taking it to shop. The car will idle for 30 mins to problems. But when I try to drive 15 ft it stalls. I just order new ignition coils & plugs as the car is 18 years old and never changed the coils and 5 years since changing the plugs. Also ordered new fuel filter 2 years since changed. Im guessing this is something simple. Any ideas? Thank you!
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 9 days ago.
Are any fault warning lights or messages on? Will it stall if you are in drive at idle?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will only stall when in gear, runs fine at idle. Check engine light goes away when car dies.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

I wonder if we have a transmission problem like a stuck torque converter clutch. This usually will cause a stall when going into drive. Another possibility is a fueling issue. I recommend we first scan the vehicle for the stored fault codes then we shold have the fuel pressure checked with a gauge to confirm it is reading normal. Let me know.