Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Restricted and check light x j8, Restricted performance and

Customer Question

Restricted and check light x j8
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Restricted performance and check engine light
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 1998 have x j8
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sent to mechanic worked great until I took it out of town and now in in trouble at lazy airport
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 days ago.
Other than the warnings how does the engine run and the vehicle drive? When the restricted warning comes on does the vehicle go into limp?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Car bucked twice on century Blvd andthe oil, got back in the car and I pulled over and checked the oil, and then engine light and the restricted performance light stayed on as I went to my hotel.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I drove the car low speed with no problems I was afraid the car would buck and we would be stuck but we made it back to the hotel I have to fly to Texas for a week and when I get back the car will be a problem for me and unfortunately my wife and son,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 day ago.

Ok could be a number of engine sensors like a mass air flow, knock sensor or ignition coil. We will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag tool is needed to do this but we can try using generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store to see if we can read the four digit code. Let me know.