Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I have a 2000 Jaguar S Type and had to bring it into a Jag

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Jaguar S Type and had to bring it into a Jag dealership because my car had just shut off on me while driving. I have checked the battery and it was ok. I brought it to a mechanics shop and the told me that it was an ecm. I bought one and had it reprogrammed to my vin and that did not work. My engine would crank for a quick second and then cut off immediately. Jag tech stated that he needed to do a compression test. He came back and told me that I had no compression on the right side of the engine and told me that the engine needed to be replaced. When the key was in the ignition I heard like a humming or hissing noise coming from the egr valve area. The engine was not on though. I'm frustrated and feel like the mechanic is trying to sell me an engine that I may not possibly need...can someone please help. I appreciate it more than you know.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.
What I usually see on these is the secondary timing chain tensioners fail causing the chain to break. This can cause a loss in compression on one bank. The problem is in order to confirm this the valve cover will need to be removed. As far as the humming with the ignition ON this is most likely the electronic throttle as you are hearing the motor. This is normal. Let me know.