Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

2002 Jaguar xk8- - can I use a good grade mass airflow

Customer Question

2002 Jaguar xk8- - can I use a good grade mass airflow sensor replacement or do I need to use one from Jaguardo I need
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: mass air flow sensor- it has been diagnosed- original Jag part cost $340 can I use a replacement by a good brand I find on line?
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am - I have not- I have cleaned it before and it is an easy fix-
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: need to know if can use a good quality replacement part and do I need to have anything calibrated or can I just disconnect the battery and reset?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to know if I need 1) Use OEM part or can I use name brand replacement? 2) do I need to calibrate anything when I put in new mass air sensor? someone told me to disconnect battery for 5 min and reconnect- is that proper or necessary or do I need to take it to a dealer for calibration?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hi I'm Kevin Unfortunatly I would always recommend fitting a genuine part on these . The aftermarket copies don't tend to last very long and give all sorts of issues . There is no calibration required . Just fit new meter and reset codes if any present

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question is can I use an aftermarket mass air flow sensor -don't need an opinion but are there any reasons why it needs to be matched -the jag parts desk at dealership said I needed to use OEM as aftermarket might not work -the service Dept told me it had to be calibrated -only half my question was answered
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Yes you can use aftermarket as I said they work but just don't tend to last as long . And no calibration listed on this model just plug and play fitment