peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

When the engine is cold and I start it It dies immediately

Customer Question

When the engine is cold and I start it It dies immediately and hesitates when I try to increase RPMs I can get the rpms up to 1500 but when i put it in gear the and try to drive the engine dies immediately. If I can keep it running with all the dieing after agout 15 minutes it eventually starts running ok however if I let it cool down I have to go through the same proceedure. I have changed the fuel pump and filter and that didn't change anything
JA: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?
Customer: 1986 Jaguar XJ6 with Bosch fuel injection.
JA: Are you fixing your XJ6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to as the closest shop is 75 miles
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

One of the common causes for an issue like this here is a faulty reading engine coolant temp sensor needing replaced.If you have not had the engine coolant temp sensor checked/replaced this needs tested to see if it needs replaced.This causes the engine to run to lean when cold and causes this fault when it sends an incorrect engine temp signal.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete