Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

My 2004 Vandenplas got a new left front shock for 1500

Customer Question

My 2004 Vandenplas got a new left front shock for 1500 dollars at the Jag place. My air suspension warning light is still on even though I no longer see a problem. I think that the air compressor might not be totally doing its thing. I know they are about $450 for the part, but I read where often times it is a simple piston device that normally goes out on the compressor and they are about $25.00. Jag dealer wants $1000.00 to get the part (compressor), and install it.
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: No fluid except air conditioning, I thought. The ride has been great!
JA: What is the model of your '04 Jaguar?
Customer: XJ8 Vandenplas, 2004.
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan on it, but I have tried nothing yet. I have a friend who watched a video and felt confident he could do it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, but I would like to get an opinion on XJS V12 naturally used.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 21 days ago.

Yes it does sound like a problem with the compressor. It may have been damaged due to the leaking shock. In most cases it cannot provide enough pressure to keep the system fully pressurized. As far as the cost there are reman units available. As far as rebuilding these it can be a little tricky in sourcing the parts. They can be replaced relatively easily and you can get an afterarket unit from online sources as well as from Arnott.