Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar stype (03) starts with a little sputter, but the

Customer Question

Jaguar stype (03) starts with a little sputter, but the temperature gauge takes about 5-7 minutes to move from cold to center. Sometimes, it doesn't move to center until I'm driving for a few minutes. Sometimes I get "restricted performance" but after a few seconds of driving, it disappears.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
Does the engine light ever come on? Is it that the engine is having difficulty starting or the engine will start normally but run rough when cold?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a V6 or V8 engine?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
v6 engine. check engine light does come on. Engine starts normally but runs rough when cold. takes a while to "heat up"
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
OK these may or may not be related. A faulty coolant temp sensor could be the cause as well as a sticking thermostat. On the V6 engines I see issues with air / engine vacuum leaks causing the poor running when cold. Could be the intake seals. Start the engine cold and listen for any hissing or air noise from the engine which would indicate a leak. Since we have warnings on we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try using a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store to see if we can read any fault codes. They will read as a P followed by four digits. For example P0171. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I can check for the sounds in about 30 minutes. I can take to the parts store in about one hour.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
Great. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will reply by 1:30pm EST
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello; sounds like a hissing or "air" noise near the "air filter". No progress with the codes. I have to go to another place. See pictures for today...7948 is after running for 10 minutes. 7949 is after driving for 1 minute.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Ok maybe we have a leak in the air intake tube. Lets see if we can get the fault codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Today was my birthday! I will get the fault codes in the morning. THANKS VERY MUCH!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
Happy birthday.