peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I change the altenator and still not charging 1979 xj12,

Customer Question

i change the altenator and still not charging 1979 xj12
JA: Are you fixing your XJ12 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced altenator
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: i replaced the altenator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Inspect for any blown fuses and damaged wiring or connections leading to and at the alternator and fuse panels.If any issues are found they will need repaired/corrected to resolve this here.If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know if when you first turn on the key if the battery/charge light comes on before starting the engine so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I check all the fuses they a good. I started the car and to check if it was charging I removed the positive cable and the engine shut down
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a voltage regulator on these cars?

There is a voltage regulator but it should be built into the alternator on this model from what I see as it calls for removing the alternator to dissasemble and replace it and if you already replaced the alternator then it should have been replaced already.

Does the battery or charge light come on in the dash when you first turn on the key all the way on before starting the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't get an answer yet and already $35.00

Did you get my last reply?

Hello I am just checking in with you to see if there is anything else I can help with here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.