Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I have a 2003 jaguar x type the dash cluster goes dead when

Customer Question

I have a 2003 jaguar x type the dash cluster goes dead when the car will still run fine but if you shut the car it won't crank and you have no cluster lights. instrument pack code u1900 can bus fault ,b1359 ignition run/acess circuit fault,b 2879fuel tank jet pump fault ,u2510 can invald data for vehicle security. engine codes po1638 can/link engine control/instrument cluster/network malfunction,p1582 flight recorder data is stored,po332 knock sensor 2 low input ,po706transmission range sensor circuit performance. Any idea where to start ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
OK this does sound like an internal problem with the instrument cluster. It could also be a problem with another module on the vehicle high speed network. I have also seen instances with the shifter assembly causing this. We also need to check the battery and charging system as low voltage can be the cause. Make sure both cables are clean and secure. Then have a parts store test the battery and charging system to make sure all is operating properly. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm a heavy duty truck technician so I'll be doing the work. Battery voltage engine off 12.7v , start engine 15.18v , after running a while 13.6v
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Another issue I'm having with the shifter is the cable seams stiff you have to move fast to get to go in park or drive ,almost like the cable isn't long enough.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
OK sounds like we may have a problem with the shifter cable. There is an adjustment for it but it does sound like it is binding. I'd you remove the three 8mm bolts on the cover we can see if the cable moves freely. I do not think this is the cause of the electrical issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The shifter cable I just thought l would mention because I didn't know electrically if in the shift j- gate would cause my problem . Anyhow the problem with the dash and not cranking is very intermittent but would when it starts doing it it does it a lot . I cleaned all grounds in engine compartment,new battery cables . You think it may be the instrument cluster or network communication how can I test to confirm this or do you have all other suggestions ? I owe a modis ultra if you think I could use that in any of the diagnosis
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This morning the car had to run for 30 minutes before the dash went totally off and car still ran fine but if you shut car off while this is happening the car will not crank and only lights on dash are oil pressure and airbag. I try to move wire harnesses lightly tap move relays fuse panels,cycle ignition etc. but with no change .Please any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.Thank You
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been wondering why you haven't responded to my question ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

When the problem occurs with the engine still running use your scan tool to see what modules are communicating on the network. It's most likely either the cluster, loss of power or bad ground. There are two grounds on the bracket behind the ashtray. Also look behind the driver side dash directly above the brake pedal and make sure the harness is not contacting the metal bracket creating a short.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good Morning ,I checked harness above brake pedal there was no rub or short. The grounds looked good but cleaned anyhow. To check the power to the cluster I see in the fuse F74 and F84 go the cluster .While the car is running if you unplug F84 fuse it will simulate the cluster losing power exactly. So I monitored the voltage at these two fuses while running when the cluster lost power these fuses still had power . The car had to run 30 to 45 minutes before problem reoccurred. If I had a electrical diagram I could test for power right a cluster . Do you have a diagram that would help.? And is there any other lines of power that go to cluster I should look at ? Why would the cluster Lose power after 30 to 45 minutes ?If I remove cluster is there anything I can look at or do to confirm that the cluster is definitely the problem ? Sorry for all the Questions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I run the car with scanner on it communicates with the dash cluster and you can run function tests on everything works but as soon as the cluster goes off the scanner will not communicate with cluster and codes appear . p1638 canlink engine control module/instrument cluster/network malfunction ,p1260 security input ,p1582 fight recorder data is stored . Do You have any ideas ?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
why are you not responding ???
Expert:  Richard replied 29 days ago.

Sorry for the delay. Looks like an internal electrical fault with the cluster. I will send over the diagram to confirm power and ground.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok diagram will be very helpful but also could there be other wiring problems other than power and ground ? Are there communication wires from the cluster to Ecm? And what would these wires be identified as and how would I test them ?
Expert:  Richard replied 27 days ago.

Here is the diagram. We have three powers pins 7, 11, and 13 and ground on pin 8. For the network with the ignition off and cluster disconnected if you ohm out the CAN pins at the cluster connector we should read 120 ohms on each leg.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I'm finally back on this project . I have no power at 7, 11,13 and no ground at 8 . Where does the power come from ? Do you have diagrams showing where ?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
just want to make sure I tested for the power and ground the correct way I unplugged the connectors from the cluster because you can't back probe because how the connector is designed , no power or ground with ignition on or off .
Expert:  Richard replied 1 day ago.

Ok make sure you are on the correct connector. All are powered by seperate fuses so please double check power and ground with the ignition ON. Click on the link.