Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 1994 xjs 6 cylinder. I have replaced the brake

Customer Question

I have a 1994 xjs 6 cylinder. I have replaced the brake master cylinder a year ago and it appears it has gone out again. The cost of a new one is ridiculous and I can't find a rebuild kit or rebuilt one. Can I replace the system with a newer one?
JA: Are you fixing your XJ-S yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I ordered a rebuild kit took the master cylinder out to rebuild and it turned out to be the wrong one
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

I need to know if yours has ABS or not and I also need the last 8 of the vin number to do some cross checking for another master cylinder that will work for yours.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has ABS but it hasn't worked since I got the car. VIN BV189716
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I have not been able to find one that is interchangeable with it. I will opt out and see if another expert can find one for you

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

I recommend coventrywest.com, jagbits.com, welshent.com, or motorcarsltd.com as they all specialize in re manufactured and discounted Jag parts that are hard to find.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's not the question can I take the whole braking system from say a 1995-96 xjs or xj6 and replace everything but the brake lines is there any reason that wouldn't work. I have looked at all of those web sites.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Can I have the last six of your VIN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
189716