sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I got 3 messages after hearing and feeling a 'thunk' noise

Customer Question

I got 3 messages after hearing and feeling a 'thunk' noise (didn't hit a pothole - felt like it was in the car). 2008 XJ8 Vanden Plas. ERROR messages: Gearbox Fault/Parking Brake Fault/Cruise Control not available. Also the battery light came on, along with the engine light, and the ABS light. I was able to continue home, and car does start. Engine light still on
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: No its the picture of the little engine.
JA: Are you fixing your Vanden Plas yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - I just don't want to get ripped off at the dealership or mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After parking car overnight, I see the Engine Light and the Battery Light. No messages like Gearbox Fault appear.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just attempted to drive my Jaguar and it is giving me almost all of the original error messages including: Gearbox Fault, ABS Fault, Cruise Control not available, and the battery light is on. It is not sounding or feeling to great to try and drive it. I hope to not spend an arm and a leg on repairs. Are you aware of any mechanics here in Houston who are honest and good?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have several things going on an it will take some electrical testing to determine exactly what is going on. The battery light is most significant on the surface, because low battery voltage will cause problems with other systems. If the alternator is not charging then it can cause all of these other warnings due to low battery voltage.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes have set?