Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2003 XJ8 trunk latch actuator inoperative. Can I open the

Customer Question

2003 XJ8 trunk latch actuator inoperative. Can I open the trunk thru the lower right side license plate fasterner hole ?
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: Can't get into the trunk to see what's not sound from unlock actuator or push button.
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it myself...if I can get the trunk ope I can check the relays and actuator and wiring loom under the rightside hinge. But I cannot get into it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Central locking is opening all dorrs and gas filler, but not the trunk latch.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
you can go through the license plate hotel but it is tricky. If the key does not turn in the trunk lock cylinder then try lubricating it and jiggling the key. If it will turn but not open then yes try going through the cutout for the license plate retainer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you give me a hint on how to release the latch thru the license plate hole?
How about providing a parts drawing to help me see where I need to poke about?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately they do not have a drawing. Go to the bottom hole on the passenger side while you look through the driver side to manually move the latch with a coat hanger. You can have an assistnace shine a light there as well so you can see.