Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I replaced the battery because the one I purchased was too

Customer Question

I replaced the battery because the one I purchased was too small. So got a bigger battery that was for a Jag x type. Now battery wouldn't fit so I took the little plastic box which had a thin plastic cable running down , that I think by accident got broke. Now Im getting all kind of crazy messages and the engine is revving very high and it wont come down , it keeps revving at high revolutions !
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: yeah everything shows good, got battery tested and no leaking, just bought it
JA: What year is your Fit?
Customer: 2002 x type 3.0
JA: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, I I was just at Autozone , and they ran a computer on the car and the battery it had was a small unit for that car , nothing was wrong with the car before
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

That tube is the vent. It should be installed to a small vent hose on the battery but I do not think this is causing the warnings. Sounds like there could be an issue with the electronic throttle. Disconnect just the negative battery terminal for about an hour. In that time check the two connections to the throttle. If all are clean and secure we will need to scan the vehicle to see if there are any stored fault codes. Also do a visual of the intake and air/vacuum lines. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That little tube that broke was attached to the plastic box where the battery is suppose to go , other than that the car before only needed for the battery to be replaced
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

It was supposed to be installed on a small plastc tee that gts inserted into the vent on the battery. You may also see a two wire black connector that gets secured to the plastic battery box so we need to make sure that is not damaged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that was precisely what got damaged
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Ok the wires do not hook up to anything however if they are shorted or crashed we can simply disconnect the battery and cut out the damaged part. As long as those wires are not exposed and touching each other or the body it should reset. We may need to clear the fault codes with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no wiring inside this plastic tube that was attached to the plastic box, where battery sit on , that plastic box which cover the battery is not there no more, so thats the only thing that got broken down , and now my car revs really hard with all kinds of weird messages
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
OK we are going to need a scan tool to read the faults.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
svc fault, gearbox fault, engine failure
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
may that tube would connect to a sensor, my car never read faults like that or was revving so high
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
That plastic vent does not attach to anything other than the vent. Look for any damage to the wire harness under the battery and on the throttle.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NOw Im thinking could it be the battery . I put a everstart H8 900cca?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
That is a larger capacity battery but I do not think that is the problem. See if you can use a scan tool from your local parts store to see if we can read any fault codes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what was that little tube that runs under the battery tray ? is that tube supposed to be connected to something ? I broke it last night trying to remove the battery tray. I remember the battery tray was being held by something then flipped it so I could fit the larger battery, but then it got loose and it ended up being unattached. other than that I didn't do anything else for the car to revving so high and all those messages popping up ?