Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I pushed the close top button and it did not close all the

Customer Question

I pushed the close top button and it did not close all the way--- 1/4 inch more and it would have locked but it remains a little bit open and the back windows are down--
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 97000 it was a gift to me a month ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 91Xk8
JA: What year is your Jaguar?
Customer: 91 1991
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: pushing the button ---lol plus I did open the trunk at a stop I made and placed something in there, upon my arrival at home it would not close all the way
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: quick fix
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Can you confirm the year of your XK8?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi: I paid - -quickly, by the way.... for the mechanics educated response and troubleshooting tips.
$36.00 I am waiting for the tips...***@******.***
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Call: Hubby Joe(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1998
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i did pay--$31.00 via pay pal-- i hope you call my husband with SOME IDEA that will help!
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately I am not available for a phone call at the moment. First I recommend we check the fluid level in the top pump motor. remove the trunk side trim on the passenger side. The fluid should be seen in between the two lines. Look for any signs of fluid around the overhead console as sometimes the front latch hydraulic hoses leak. There should be a 10mm allen tool secured to the top motor bracket. You can pop off the small round plug on the front header and use that tool to see if we can rotate the front latch closed. Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hubby'strying to figure it out, let you know..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
found the allen tool, what do you mean by small round plug in header? can you send pictures--***@******.***
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
found the tool found the hole
which way ( direction ) should we rotate
wrench to close?
body of car latch not open to bite the hook
on the bonet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
which way di we open the latch to grab the hook on bonnet?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Turning it clockwise should close the latch.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Sorry counter clockwise closes it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the latch is closed that's why the top " u shaped bolt" wont go down..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how can we open the latch to use the tool
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
the top is sitting above the claw on the front latch but it is not engaged in the latch?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Top sitting above the claw. Motor buzzed a second and stopped. Top won't go up or down.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hubby JOE phone number(###) ###-####
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Ok please make sure the fluid is full. Then rotate the manual release T screw counter clock wise a couple of turns. lift the top off the claw and use the allen wrench to move the claw up. Get the top engaged in the claw then tighen the allen to seat the top. Rotate the manual release screw clockwise and recheck the top operation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You forgot to mention the pump isolating valve had to be turned to the manual operating position. Manual latching can NEVER be achieved until that is done. That is what the British Motor car place told me - AFTER I took it there. They charged me $100.00 because my issue was a programming one. They had to reprogram my hood release. Your assistance did not aid me in solving my problem. Next time Richard call the person and ask them to send you a smart phone video of the situation.
I gave you my husband phone 2 X and we waited for hours for a call. For this reason I am asking for a refund.
Good luck with other repairs. Sincerely, Maria