rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I replaced the starter on my 1998 xj8 it set up for 3 years

Customer Question

i replaced the starter on my 1998 xj8 it set up for 3 years i also had to replace the passenger side wheel bearing now as well as installed a new battery now when i turn the ignition key oh it was also out of gas i now have gas in it, the engin does not turn over and there is no gas going through the fuel rail why
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

There's a good possibility that the fuel pump seized up with no gas in it.

Also, be sure that there is power going to the fuel pump. Check fuses and relay in the box.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ron the engen is not turning over the starter does not engage it is brand new out the box
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ron your answer deals with a secondary problem that does not satisfy my qusetion please reread it and advise accordingly your answer was incomplete to the problem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
as your answer stands i cant pay for a fraction of a problem fix
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Your description was a touch vague and confusing, talking about the turning over of the engine and talking about gas in the rail which can be 2 different problems, so now what we need to do is be certain that the battery has 2.6 volts in it after you load test it with a tester.

Check the cables at both ends for corrosion and tightness.

If all this is good, recheck the starter connections including grounds.

Please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Also, keep in mind that when cars sit that long, mice etc can nest in various places under the hood or carriage chewing through wiring etc.

I can't see your car from here or know how it's environment is around it, so just please understand this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ron have done those things. i have also checked the fusses in the engin and trunk compartments all were good i also as a precaution placed a 360volt jump box on the battery i turn the key and nothing happends
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Okay, then it appears that your ignition switch is not sending out signals. This is NOT odd for vehicles left sitting for that long. It's either the ignition switch or you have unwanted guests chewing on your wiring. I see this a lot, so you need to inspect the complete wiring harness from under the hood to the rear of the car.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Ron