peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Hood latch cable broken, removed the passenger front tire

Customer Question

Hood latch cable broken, removed the passenger front tire and plastic well cover but can't see the latch.
JA: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 98 xj8 vanden plas
JA: Are you fixing your Vanden Plas yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Removed the front hood hinges, and now the front wheel and well cover but can't see the latch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks Pearl
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately when a fault like this occurs here usually part of the front grille needs removed to access the latch.Usually this damages the front grille or components in the front to where they would need repaired or replaced after the latch is manually released and either replaced or the cable re attached or replaced.I wish I had better news for you on this here but this is they way it usually has to be done as I have had to do myself as well as seen others do.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Uh Pete, the latches (2) are located about a foot in front of the fire wall. I removed the front grill and hood (bonnet) hinges and there's no way to access the latches since the hood will only lift about 3 inches far to little to effectually reach the latches. I've tried going through the wheel well (tire and well splash removed and still no access because of solid metal fender wells. Perplexed and stupefied that Jag wouldn't offer an alternative in case of a cable failure.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete