peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

Richard, The transfer case / trans-axle in my 2002 x-type is

Customer Question

Richard,The transfer case / trans-axle in my 2002 x-type is making a whining noise starting around 30 MPH and continues to increase in pitch as I accelerate and it begins to fade (or tone down) around 55 -60 mph. I have taken a mechanic stethoscope and narrowed it down to the back of the transfer case, where the drive shaft inserts/attaches. (I had the car up on stands and had a friend sit in the driver’s seat and control the accelerator while I checked the drive train with the stethoscope.) I’ve checked on line found a u-tube video posted by someone showing their speedometer and the bearing noise starting at 30 mph and fades around 55-60 mph as well, sounds the same. In a Jaguar forum one of the folks posted how they were able to remove the rear casing cover over the output shaft section, removing the same bearing I suspect is the culprit, and successfully replace the bearing with and off the shelf bearing. But it is not clear to me whether they had to remove and replace the bearing with ease or remove it with a puller of some sort and press it back on.So my questions are:Is this bearing pressed on?If so, how difficult would it be to remove the bearing and put it back on with the trans-axle in place, assuming I can get the anti-roll restrictor bracket removed so I can take that section of the transfer case / trans-axle cover off?And, if possible, how can one press the bearing back on easily without damaging it?I’m hoping to find that thr bearing can easily be removed and replaced like some axle bearings in brake rotors and drums.Bruce Brown
Knoxville, TN
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

On most models I have seen and dealt with the output shaft bearing is pressed into the housing/case and needs a press to remove and install it.Usually I have removed the housing and if I didnt have a press available for this model I would have a machine shop press it out and the new one in.I suspect this is what will need done on your model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete