Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2004 XJ8 VDP low beam on passenger side not working.

Customer Question

2004 XJ8 VDP low beam on passenger side not working. Replaced HID bulb and that worked for a while. Replaced it again and nothing. I have checked the 2 20a fuses and both relays related to headlamps - all seem to be good. Any suggestions where to turn next?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 175,000. Starts fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2004 XJ8 VDP low beam on passenger side not working. Replaced HID bulb and that worked for a while. Replaced it again and nothing. I have checked the 2 20a fuses and both relays related to headlamps - all seem to be good. Any suggestions where to turn next?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
Sounds like we may have a problem with the HID ballast which is located on the underside of the lamp. Jag does not sell this part separately from the complete headlamp assembly but ultimately can locate them on the outside. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I assume this ballast is not the piece attached to the light itself? The HID replacement I purchased has s piece connected.Can you point me to exactly where the ballast is located?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
it is actually on the bottom of the lamp and cannot be seen unless the lamp is removed.