Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

New keys on my 2003 X type from dealer and new key is stuck

Customer Question

new keys on my 2003 X type from dealer and new key is stuck in ignition, We had lost the original key which was found under the seat mount by the dealer. Comparing the new key that is not stuck to the old one (which is not worn) I see a difference in the flat at the nose of the key. the new key has a step the old one does not and I think that is catching and preventing the key from coming out.....I don't want to yank the key out.....and i don't want to live with a key in the ignition.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: New key is stuck, old key is not worn, car starts and wheel turns, key does not pull out
JA: What is the model of your '03 Jaguar?
Customer: X type 3.0
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I doubt I can fix it....although If I could get the key out I could file off the miscut in the new key........dealer in Buffalo cut the keys and I am in detroit.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: all the info you have is what I know..........
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
Try jiggling the key to see if we can remove it. The end of the key could be the problem but usually that designates whether it is a valet key or not. On your vehicle this was not really an option. If that does not work and the key does turn we can try removing the lock cylinder. First the lower column cover needs to be removed. This may be difficult since the key it stuck. Then you turn the key to position 1 and depress the release on the side of the housing.