Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

I have a 2004 Jaguar XJ-8 that has been sitting for about 2

Customer Question

i have a 2004 Jaguar XJ-8 that has been sitting for about 2 years due to suspension problems and I would like to know if there is a manual way to open the hood without damaging it to much in order to jump the battery to open the trunk to charge the battery,. there is tension on the hood-release lever inside the compartment but I'm afraid of snapping the cable if i force it because the hood latches wont disengage I was wondering if I could possibly go from underneath the car or through the grill in order to trip the the latches with a bar or something similar. I tried opening the trunk with the key but again afraid I'll break the key off because of no power to the trunk latch motor possibly
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

the hood release lever inside the car is the correct way to release the hood

some tension on the handle is normal and you can give the cable an easier time by having your assistant press down on the trailing edge of the hood whilst you pull the lever

this video may also help

and you should also be able to open the trunk latch with the key

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you