Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

X type 2.2 diesel estate 56 reg.I have had to replace all 4

Customer Question

X type 2.2 diesel estate 56 reg.I have had to replace all 4 brake discs and pads, checked several sites before starting especially how to push the rear wheel cylinders back. when I tested the brakes the foot pedal slowly dropped to the floor. On my older cars I had worked on this I think would indicate the master cylinder was passing back. I have replaced the master cylinder and bled all the brakes but there is no change in the foot peddle. I have since trawled the net and several sites indicate that the bleed valves on the wheel cylinders should to opened before pushing the wheel cylinders back to fit new pads, this I did not do. The servo is holding a vac, the brake do work and don't bind but the foot pedal slowly goes down.system before changing the discs and pads. some site suggest the ABS may have been damaged pushing the wheel cylinders back without opening the bleed valves, Can you help.
JA: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?
Customer: I had no problem before the change and the pedal works fine it is free to move up and down
JA: What year is your Estate?
Customer: 56 reg
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All the information is in my first text as to how I have come to this point
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only that the net is full of people with problems with x type breaks following pad/disc replacements
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
How does the vehicle stop while driving on the road? Does the pedal get firm with the engine off when you pump it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will not be n the road until I can rely on the breaks. yes the pedal it firm with the engine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tested the brakes on my short drive and they do stop good but then the pedal slowly goes to the floor
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
Does the pedal slowly drop if you are at a complete stop and you push further dpwn?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
OK these vehicles will do that. The brakes will function normally when stopping but you could continue to push the brake pedal to the floor when at a complete stop. You may be more sensitive to how the brakes feel now since you serviced them but it sounds like normal operation especially since the pedal is firm with the engine not running.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry Richard I thought I was talking to a Jaguar expert. the break situation is not normal it would be unsafe to go on the road and would not pass a MOT. from your response so far I take it you don,t have an answer to my problem.
Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
I am confused. Did you say the brakes do in fact stop well during your drive?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
Did you have this problem prior to the brake job?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but keeping my foot on the pedal it will go to the floor, you can just see me standing in traffic with my foot on the f
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you red the beginning of this feed. the brake was good before but the discs and pads needed changing. I am light on breaks, when I bought the car it had 85.000 on the clock and now has 150.000. I have had good use of all my car breaks since I started driving in 1965.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
It is possible that we have a bad caliper especially the rear. You can pinch off the brake hose one at a time to see if the problem is still present. Just be careful when doing this because we don't want to damage the flexible rubber hose
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am sorry Richard if some of my answer have been a bit off hand but after 2 days trying to do a job that would normally take 1/2 at best and two night trawling the net my patients is a bit low. I don't think it is anything to do with wheel cylinders. I know the vac is holding because I removed the master cylinder the morning after I had started the car and it still had a vac. I have no visible leaks on any of the seals. It must be a common problem with X typs when changing brake pads/discs looking at all the sites on the net. unfortunately none of the sites have a solution.