Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2005 s-type. Will not crank. All other electrical functions

Customer Question

2005 s-type. Will not crank. All other electrical functions ok. The transmission indicator for R is lighted when the key is in the on position and the shift lever will not move out of the P position with the brake pedal depressed
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: This occurred suddenly when I was backing up in my driveway. I could sense something weird and turned it off. After that the symptoms as described.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried jumping (didn't think it would work) but it was mentioned on the internet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Actually no. Everything else seems to be fine.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.
We most likely have a problem with the linkage. We will need to look under the driver side of your vehicle to locate the shifter cable. There are two 8mm bolts that secure the cable to the transmission. They may be loose or even fell out. You may have to jack up the vehicle. If not and you tow it to a shop the repair should not be more than what I described.