Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I just bought a 2002 XJ8. It is in fail safe mode. I can get

Customer Question

Hi Rich. I just bought a 2002 XJ8. It is in fail safe mode. I can get it to crank. I have zero fuel pressure. Does the fail safe mode kill the fuel pump? And I do have a humming coming from the throttle body.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
No the fail safe should not cut off the pump. If we are certain that there is no fuel pressure see if you have power to fuse #7 (20 amp) in the trunk fuse box while an assistant is cranking the engine. If you do then I suspect a faulty pump or internal tank harness. We can also try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake while an assistant cranks the engine to see if we can get it to start and run on the spray indicating a fueling issue. Let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Checking now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have 12 v at fuse 7 and it does fire on carb cleaner
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
OK looks like we have either a bad pump, clogged filter or bad gas. Mist likely a faulty in tank fuel pump.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I should hear it prime the system when the key is turned on?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes it does come on for about two secinds when the key is turned to the ON position.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the help it was the fuel pump. However I could not reach the fuel lines to reconnect them. Is is necessary to lower the rear differential to reconnect them?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
I normally do not lower it but it would make it easier. You can lower the sub frame slightly