Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

My 2005 Jaguar S Type automatic diesel is showing a Park

Customer Question

My 2005 Jaguar S Type automatic diesel is showing a Park Brake Fault, and the park brake is stuck on. It is parked on a slope. I have tried a manual release of the brake, but not before trying to move off without.
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Yes, and "Park Brake Fault" is showing
JA: What is the model of your '05 Jaguar?
Customer: S Type automatic diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have had a mechanic look at it, but his tester cannot speak to the brake control unit. Not trying to fix it myself unless it is easy to do
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
right now the parking brake is stuck on and the park brake fault warning is on? Any recent work done to the rear brakes or any battery or starting issues recently?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No to all
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
Is the park brake fault currently on?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.
OK this could be caused by the motor, modules or even a stretched /binding cable. Without the stored fault codes it will be difficult to tell you the exact cause. The parking brake van be reset hy disconnecting just the negative battery terminal cable for about half an hour. Once reconnected start the engine and pump the brakes. Hold your foot on the brake and pull up on the epb switch. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, I'll try that tomorrow
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately that didn't work. The engineer is coming to check the battery as he believes that could be the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Yes that is a possibility as we have discussed. Let me know. If we can retrieve those fault codes we will know for sure.