Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

I have a 2006 Jaguar X-type that keeps overheating. We

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jaguar X-type that keeps overheating. We changed the thermostat but that didn't help any. When you turn on the heat in the car, the temp will start to decrease so you can drive it.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: There was a leak in the overflow tank, which we replaced. Don't see any other leaks.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a mechanic that is trying to fix it but not having luck. I am a dealer trying to help figure it out.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car runs great when you start it up cold but it doesn't take long at all for it to get overheated.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,