Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a security system failed, car starts some time and

Customer Question

hi I have a security system failed, car starts some time and other times it wont. Security on centre console with rapid light flash as 16 We have a 2003 Jaguar X type
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: Its thered light near the traction control on the centre dash the time I did get it to start it blinked rapidly for around a minute then flashed 1 an then 6
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2003 Jaguar X Type 2.0 V6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are a motor mechanic have scanned system has P1260 code we have replaced the battery as it was low on charge
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

P1260 indicates the immobilizer is active, if you have a different key try it first. Most likely the ignition switch has failed. P1260 sets when the Instrument Cluster loses its coding or can't communicate with the ECM. Once the ignition switch is replaced the instrument cluster may have to be reprogrammed with a Jaguar compatible scan tool.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.