Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

It acts like it is vapor locking. Wont pull under load &

Customer Question

It acts like it is vapor locking. Wont pull under load & eventually stalls. When it is in neutral and you throttle up to 3000 and steady it surges up and down.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: The check engine light just came on after it was acting bad for about 60 miles. The engine eventually stalls when you come to an upgrade or it just keeps getting slower until the engine quits.
JA: What is the model of your '1000 Jaguar?
Customer: 2004 x-type 175000 miles. It started doing this mainly when it is hot outside.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have had some local mechanics where I live change fuel filter, but it did not correct the problem. We have also cracked the gas cap but no change
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 7 months ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

Man, this sure has all the symptoms of lack of fuel pressure. I see that you have replaced the fuel filter but have you actually had a fuel pressure test performed using a mechanical gauge?