sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Jaguar: 1989 Jaguar XJ6 When I drive ~ 50 miles on an

Customer Question

Jaguar: 1989 Jaguar XJ6When I drive ~ 50 miles on an interstate (at 70 - 75 mph), and then exit and come to a complete stop, my transmission slips when trying to shift. I'll then stop again, and it repeats. Eventually, the car will stall when trying to shift (expecially at intersections when turning left or right).When turning my car - at a slow speed - something in the engine bay or around the axles makes this awful moaning/screeching noise.Sometimes my automatic seatbelts won't roll up, but it may scroll up when I hit bumps or dips in the roads. Sometimes it will just scroll up when driving. Seatbelts automatically rolling up after starting the car is sporadic.Can you please help me diagnose this car? Is it something electrical? Is my transmission failing? Alternator or solenoids?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You seem to be describing the symptoms of a restricted trans filter. When the filter becomes restricted it can drop line pressure and cause slipping, sometimes to the point of the trans not being able to engage at all. The pump will make a whining noise as it starves for fluid. This could be simply due to lack of periodic replacement or there could be excessive debris from the failure of a component.

Has anything been done to try to diagnose the issue?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have took it to a few mechanics, but they weren't specialist or even familiar with Jaguars. Although, I've had a few people mention that the moaning/ screeching noise is caused by the power steering pump, but would that be the case even without steering the wheel? I can even hear something grinding/groaning in the engine bay or underneath the car by just acceleration and no turning of the wheel.

I forgot to mention one more issue: everything I start the car, something in the engine bay makes it sound like the throttle is wide open. This issue is sporadic as well, but I'm a little worried it could get worse if untreated. Would it be the starter?

If the noise doesn't change when turning the steering wheel I doubt it's coming from the power steering pump. If that noise coincides with the trans issue then it's most likely the pump.

Can you elaborate on the other noise from the engine compartment?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

All I can say is when I start the engine, and when the engine turns over, (sometimes) it makes a noise like the throttle is running wide open. I know that's not the issue, but that's exactly what it sounds like -- a brief loud groaning noise -- and again, it occurs occasionally.

ARe engine RPM's actually high? You may just be hearing cooling fan noise. If you can upload a recording of the noise that would give me a better idea, this noise may need to be heard in person to diagnose.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, the RPM's stay about neutral. I'll upload the noise as soon as I get the chance (if it occurs).

Great! Being able to hear the noise would definitely help.